Oscars Organiser Says Donald Trump’s Ban On Iranian Director Asghar Farhadi And Other Nominees ‘Extremely Troubling’

Bollywood Red Asghar Farhadi Oscar Academy Awards Best Foreign Language Film The Salmesman Visa Ban Donand Trump

The organizer of the Oscars have said that it’s ““extremely troubling” that the makers of an Iranian film, nominated for an Academy Award may not be allowed to attend the Academy Awards to be held on on the 26th of February. “The Salesman” is an Iranian movie that has been nominated for “Best Foreign Language Film”. Following US president Donald Trump’s executive order barring nationals from seven Muslim-majority countries from entering the US, the director of the film,  Asghar Farhadi and cast and the crew of the film may not be able to attend the Academy Awards. Iran is one of the countries on the list of the banned ones alongside Iraq, Sudan, Syria, Libya, Somalia and Yemen.

A spokeswoman for the Academy of Motion Picture Arts and Sciences had to say the following:

“As supporters of film-makers – and the human rights of all people – around the globe, we find it extremely troubling that Asghar Farhadi, the director of the Oscar-winning film from Iran A Separation, along with the cast and crew of this year’s Oscar-nominated film The Salesman, could be barred from entering the country because of their religion or country of origin.” -Spokes Woman, the Academy of Motion Picture Arts and Sciences.

The Academy added that it celebrated film-making “which seeks to transcend borders and speak to audiences around the world, regardless of national, ethnic, or religious differences”.

Farhadi has so far not commented on his travel plan.  On Friday, however, the president of the National Iranian American Council, Trita Parsi, tweeted: “Confirmed: Iran’s Asghar Farhadi won’t be let into the US to attend Oscar’s.”

Also, The Salesman actress Taraneh Alidoosti has vowed to boycott the Oscars over the Trump Order.

Donald Trump’s move to ban nationals of the seven countries is under severe criticism from all quarters including several Hollywood celebrities taking a clear stand against it.

Film-maker Michael Moore tweeted: “To our Muslim neighbours in the world: I and tens of millions of others are so very sorry. The majority of Americans did not vote for this man.”

Actor and director Rob Reiner tweeted: “Along with liar, racist, misogynist, fool, infantile, sick, narcissist – with the Muslim ban we can now add heartless and evil to [Donald Trump’s] repertoire.”

Meanwhile, actress Kerry Washington said: “Sick to my stomach today about the #MuslimBan. Don’t understand why? Go to @Stl_Manifest & learn the awful history of US rejecting refugees.” The St Louis Manifest is a Twitter account that has highlighted the stories of victims of the Holocaust, in particular those of passengers fleeing Nazi Germany on a vessel who were then barred from entering the US.

Stay tuned for more from the world of entertainment, only on Bollywood Red.

#DonaldTrump#AsgharFarhadi #Oscars #AcademyAwards #TheSalesman #IranianMovie #BestForeignLanguageFilm #USPresident #Iran #Iraq #Sudan #Libya #Somalia #Yemen #AcademyOfMotionPictureArtsAndSciences #TritaParsi #NationalIranianAmericanCouncil #TaranehAlidoosti #MichaelMoore #RobReiner #KerryWashington #Hollywood #POTUS #VisaBan #MuslimBan #America #UnitedStatesOfAmerica

 

Comments

comments

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *